Sunday, July 22, 2012

The Perks of Being a Wallflower: Book Review

Mom and I went on a Mother-Daughter-Date the other day to go see "Beasts of the Southern Wild" (whatever you do, DON'T SEE IT!) and as a preview, we saw snippets of a movie coming out soon called "The Perks of Being a Wallflower". 
The trailer looks adorable and the preview indicated that it was based on a book. Since the trailer made us want to see it, I decided I would try to read the book before I saw it.

The next day I got it, interestingly enough from the high school "summer reading" table in Barnes & Noble. It's 210 pages and I read it all in 3 hours. Not because it's written poorly (it's actually written well from the point of view of a high school freshman) or anything like that, but I got sucked in and what else do you do at the beach when it's cloudy?

It's definitely a good read. I completely understand why a school would indicate it as a "summer reading" book. It's very similar to "Go Ask Alice" (which I am EXTREMELY familiar with--I wrote a HUGE paper on it last semester for a literature class I took!) since the book is a compilation of letters. I did enjoy the book but I'm not sure I would recommend it to anyone other than high school/college students. I know it's a book my mom wouldn't really like and I wouldn't give it to anyone younger than college. 

Has anyone else read it? Did you school require it as summer reading? Are you excited to see the movie?

xxKatie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've read it! I would only recommend it to high school and some college students too. It wasn't required reading; I just wanted to read it. I'm so excited for the movie!

Unknown said...

I love that book!! It had been one of my friend's favorites for a long time and I finally got around to reading it this spring. It's pretty postmodern, so I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys that kind of literature, high schooler or not! It's an easy read too, so I'd recommend it to a "Book Eater" too :)