Monday, October 4, 2010

The Rules of a Gentleman


To all my best boy readers (Derek, Michael, Brett, Shane, Robert, and all the others) this post goes to all of you. I found a new website called "Rules of a Gentleman" and I'm already a big fan. All the rules include little notes by the authors of the website as well. When I was little, I always remember when my dad would get fitted for suits and we'd always read the little books of knowledge that the store sold when  my sister and I weren't picking out our favorite ties. Really, the "rules" can apply to most people, but it's a great site. Check out some of my favorite rules:

Rule No. 7: The best suit is a tailored one. Please Note: Get a pocket square while you're at it.
Rule No. 23: Learn from those who came before you. Please Note: It's a Mr. Miyagi and Daniel-san type of thing.
Rule No. 36: Your outlook on life defines how you react to those life changing moments. Please Note: Those reactions can define your life.
Rule No. 13: Swagger is something you earn. Please Note: It's the whole speak softly big stick thing.
Rule No. 28: Opening the door for a lady is not optional, and will never go out of style. --Andy Rutledge Please Note: This means any door. (I would like to notice, we always notice. No matter what.)
Rule No. 2: Kindness goes a long way. Please Note: Fake kindness doesn't count.
Rule No. 21: Watch Location = Left Wrist. Please Note: Wearing a watch isn't a necessity for style.
Rule No. 34: Cufflinks when appropriate are never optional. Please Note: Always go for sophisticated not goofy.
Rule No. 18: A gentleman is one who puts more into the world than he takes out. --George Bernard Shaw Please Note: Better words have never been spoken
Rule No. 10: Personal notes should always be handwritten. Please Note: Chicken scratch is not acceptable.
Rule No. 1: Common sense always wins. Please Note: Common Sense is the new black.
Rule No. 33: Always provide correction in private and praise in public. --Scott Delinger Please Note: They will thank you later.

I know that's a lot of rules, but they're so well written and fun. They go from etiquette to style to knowledge we all should have. It reminds me of a classier version of the rules from Wedding Crashers!

xxKatie

3 comments:

Skyler said...

personal notes are never optional. I love writing notes! (and buying stationary)

and "common sense is the new black" is my favorite!

can't wait to fully cover that website -- thanks cRa

Courtney said...

These are all so funny and so true! I love your blog!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this! It's so funny!