Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Summer Food: Cream Cups

There are a few things that we make that just scream summer. Grilled chicken cooked by my Daddyo, bruschetta pasta salad, crabs, and cream cups. We just made the cups two nights ago sort of on a whim for dessert. Momma had bought all the ingredients and with a little prodding from me, we made them!

There are 2 types you can make: fruity and decorative. The fruity cups have little slices of in-season fruit in them! In the past we've used strawberries and blueberries for the 4th of July (you get the idea). For the kids, or the really picky 20-somethings you can use sprinkles instead of the fruit. We make both kinds because I don't like the fruit ones (nor do I like the ones that even used to have fruit in them....) and I have fun sprinkles here at home. These cups are also NOT scientific. It's a taste-based recipe...for sure.

The way you make them is really easy! You take any store bough sugar cooke dough in a tube and cut it into 36 pieces and roll them into circles. This requires working quickly and I couldn't do it on my own so my mom took the cutting job and I did the rolling. After rolling, spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray and put the rolled balls in the pans. Follow the regular cookie directions putting the time at LESS THAN the package. Ours called for 13 minutes so I put them in for 10. Once they start to puff up, but before they're done completely, take a fat bottom spoon (or wine stopper like we used) and make the puffy balls into cup shapes by gently pressing the middles down. Some will collapse on their own. Cook them for MAYBE 4 more minutes and then take them out. Let them cool and harden further.

For the filling, it's Cool Whip, cream cheese, sugar and vanilla. Basically take the entire pack of cream cheese (this it not healthy...), and add the sugar and Cool Whip to taste. We added about two big squeeze of vanilla (new bottles...squeeze now from McCormick!) and were good to go. Then you combine them until semi smooth. Momma used the blender last time and said it got too runny--you want it to be thick for the next step!

Finally you squeeze the combo into your cooled cups. We used the Wilton Cookie Press with a star tip instead of the cookie disc. Then you put in the cream and they're ready to decorate! YUM!

Any tried and true summer recipes for your family? Any good go-to desserts that you like?

xxKatie

2 comments:

Kori said...

These look delicious! Have you heard my good news about the paperback version of my novel? I hope you can head over and check it out! Have a fabulous day honey! Kori xoxo

www.blondeepisodes.com

Lauren said...

My go-to dessert for potlucks is either marbled cheesecakes brownies or mini pies - homemade pie crust with a hint of vanilla and cinnamon baked in a muffin tin filled with seasonal fruits, my favorite being a berry compote.