Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Summer Braids (Formerly Titled: "Long Hair Don't Care")

Let's get one thing straight: I have never ever ever liked having my hair in my face. It drives me nuts. When I take tests, I automatically put it back in a ponytail despite any straightening or styling I've done. I get so distracted by having my hair in my face that it is almost always tucked up or pinned or half pulled back in some way (excuse all the awkward self shots...I raided my profile pictures album):
Tucked back take 1...from Bayside Bride (if I wear my hair down, it typically means just like this)
Half up...from Christmas
Pulled back...at a party
Restrained with a headband...at a football game (I KNOW for a fact this day I put it in a pony because it was SO STINKIN' HOT, but we beat Alabama so naturally my hair-do/overall looks were NOT my priority that day)

Case in point, this summer I've been rocking the braid. Whether it's french braided or a regular fat braid in the back, it has been the perfect way to wear my hair without looking like I just got back from the gym.
I want to master this side/french braid because it's so put together! If only LC wasn't in every "good hair" picture everywhere. Whenever I look for good haircuts she ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS pops up!
I may or may not have googled how to french braid your own hair or something along those lines so I'm not a seven-year-old asking my Momma to help me with my hair...

Anyone else out there rock the Summer braid? Any tips for french braiding your own hair? This girl could use some tips!!

xxKatie

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I love braids! After having long hair pretty much my whole life, I cut it off above my shoulders, so now I have no idea how to "fix" it. A front braid (googling that will get you more LC pictures) is my go-to hairstyle now.

Legally Brunette Kate said...

I agree about pulling part of your hair back...I hate hair flopping in my face and I think pulling a bit of it back is more flattering to my face. One of my favorite, super easy styles is just to take a small section from the top/front, twist it straight back and bobby pin it in place.

legallybrunettekate.blogspot.com

Elizabeth said...

I love to put a french braid right at the top and finish it off about right next to my ear. Then I swoop if back and either put it in a bun or ponytail! To make it look really nice add a little flower!

Unknown said...

Before I cut hair (this post makes me miss it!), I loved fishtail braids! They're really easy and it always attracted attention. French braiding my own hair was always trickier; last year, I had to wear a wig for a theater production and it took a while before it felt natural to fix my own hair (the braid makes it look flat under a wig!).

littlemisssec.blogspot.com

Barbecued Peaches said...

I, too, have been braiding a lot this spring/summer. I grew my hair out for my wedding and while we were on our honeymoon, I always did a side braid when we were out by the pool/beach! I'm actually doing that today too, because it is way too hot to dry my hair.

I never learned how to french braid, so a regular braid is all I can do. I am learning how to fishtail though! I have better luck when my hair is wet.

I like the first picture of your hair pulled back--I may need to try something like that!

Lindsey said...

I'm with you. Love long hair, but hate it in my face. In a pinch, I take the front section of my hair, twist it, and pin it from the back forward (so you can't see the bobby pin). It is my own version of the popular "front" braid!

Brittany said...

I love the first style - how do you do it?

Tallahassee Belle said...

I'm so jealous of your hair.
My dark brown gets ultra frizzy (especially in the southern humidity) and just refuses to grow.
I always say that I'm going to grow out my hair, but I usually just give up and have it chopped off until its just a tad shorter than shoulder length.
Maybe some day I'll have the patience.

kCa
tallahasseebelle@blogspot.com