Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Snack Staple

There are a couple of snacks that we have at our tailgate (affectionately named "The Bittieboose" after a spin off of the "Cock-a-booses" that Columbia is known for!) almost no matter what. This fabulous, EASY dip is one of them!

When I first heard my friends talking about it, I thought it was called "Norse Dip" i.e. with some relation to the Norse countries (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden) or someone's Norse relatives. I was VERY wrong.

The name is actually Knorr's Dip named after the Knorr's vegetable mix that you find in dried packets at the grocery store!!

Anyway, I've grown to love Knorr's Dip so much that I actually keep a Pyrex dish of it full at my house for weekly snacking!

When I say that this dip is easy, I mean it's so easy that easy is actually in it's name officially on the website! It's shown to eat with veggies, but thanks to Momma H (one of our tailgate Moms) I've learned that it's absolutely best with Fritos Scoops!

INGREDIENTS
1 package Knorr Vegetable recipe mix
1/2 cup Mayonnaise
1 container (16 oz.) sour cream

DIRECTIONS
Combine all ingredients in medium bowl. Cover and chill 2 hours to blend flavors.
Stir before serving. Serve with your favorite dippers.

I used Hellman's Mayonnaise and Breakstone's Sour Cream but that's solely because I had them both in my fridge! The longer that you let this dip sit, the better it gets! I couldn't help myself last night when I made it so I started dipping immediately, but it's definitely better the next day or overnight!

What are your favorite dips? Are they easy?

xxKatie

5 comments:

Navia said...

I started using the ranch spread that I make to put on veggie pizza for snacks and for parties/tailgating. It is super easy to make: a pack of ranch, cream cheese, and mayo. Sometimes I even add shredded cheese in it (if you make it for the pizza, you usually put the cheese and fresh veggies of you liking on top).

Other than that homemade salsa or pico goes great with crackers, french bread and any kind of veggie.

southernoracle said...

My favorite is the crab dip (my own recipe) that I started making when I lived in Maryland for a few years. It's good hot or cold and is always a crowd pleaser. At that time I could get fresh blue crab meat, but you can use one can of the packed stuff too. Mix that with a softened block of cream cheese, a jar of artichoke hearts (drained), enough mayo to your taste, some freshy grated parmesan cheese, and Old Bay seasoning to taste. Needless to say, it's a heart attack waiting to happen, but that's why it's called "dip" and not "scoop", right? My Dad always liked to sit down to a bowl of it and eat it with a spoon. Can you imagine? I always make it with my Kitchenaid mixer so it gets nice and well-blended, even if the cream cheese is still a little stiff. For hot service, I use my mini Crock Pot. For cold service, I like to put it in a heavy glass or ceramic dish on some ice. For tailgating it has to be covered because nothing draws flies like the scent of delicious crab meat!

southernoracle said...

By the way, I just realized that my first comments (including the one where I properly introduced myself) never posted. Now I just look like a random new poster. I apologize! The nutshell version is that I'm a Georgia girl who somehow ran across your blog a couple of months ago while looking for a discontinued Lilly Pulitzer dress. I have really enjoyed my daily read here, though it makes me a bit homesick for the South. I'm currently living away for work. Thanks for all of the fun things you share!

Kim

So Simply Chic said...

I love tailgating food! I wish it was healthier but honestly, it's a tailgate. It's not suppose to be. But I will definitely have to save this recipe for future games! We have 4 home games in November so maybe I'll make it then!

Xoxo
Makenzie

http://sosimplychic.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

I also use the Knorr vegetable packet to make spinach dip. Add sour cream and frozen spinach. So delicious!