Monday, November 2, 2009

Southern Songs

SO Gracie Beth at Preppy Southern Princess started this whole Southern Songs blog post, and I'm going to follow suit. I'm not a native Southerner, so my post my end up being a little different.

Sandstorm by Darude- This song is Carolina football (along with 2001, click the link to see what I mean. They play this song in the few seconds before the Carolina football team takes the field). Students chant for the football DJ to play Sandstorm. This video is the USC student section cheering at the Ole Miss game which is undoubtedly the most talked about Gamecock game this season.

Carolina Girls by General Johnson and The Chairman of the Board- I couldn't find this song for the longest time, but if people are shagging here, they are shagging to this song...Carolina Girls: Sweet Southern Pearls...Sweet Carolina Girls



Only Wanna Be With You by Hootie and the Blowfish- Hootie and his good old Blowfish graduated from the institution known as University of South Carolina. See the photos in the top right corner with the big columns and the teeny tiny one on the left in the middle? They're taken at Longstreet Theatre, which is ON campus. This is Hootie and the Blowfish's first album cover!

She's Country by Jason Aldean- No matter where you are, this song will get played and when he sings "She's a party all-nighter from South Carolina" every girl in the place will proudly be yelling these lyrics from the top of her lungs. I may be guilty for doing so at a tailgate or two!

Carolina by Corey Smith- (or any song by Corey Smith for that matter) The student paper here named Corey Smith as the "official musician of freshman" in their 50 Things I Learned my Freshman Year publication.

Hillbilly Deluxe by Brooks and Dunn- This song reminds me of when the state fair came to Columbia and all the times I see people riding in the beds of 4x4 trucks. I still don't know if its legal here or not!!

History in the Making by Darius Rucker- He (is or was) the lead singer of Hootie and the Blowfish, so he's another Gamecock! Darius was heard for the first time singing in the shower of his dorm (which no longer is standing from what I've heard)

Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond- This is another stadium song. Our band will play it and everyone will sing along. Try to hear 80,250 people sing such a goofy song is a blast. My mom always says that she and her friends sang this is college and now its one my college songs, too cool!

Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison- Generally any song that people know the majority of the lyrics to is a hit in college. This is such a good song especially for those girls who have Brown eyes! If this is every played, everyone sways back and forth and sings making it a fab time!

xxKatie

2 comments:

Gracie Beth said...

I am a Juicy GA Peach due to Jason Aldean ;D Here the official song is "Wagon Wheel" people will fight over that song!

Southern Champagne Wishes said...

Only Wanna Be With You may be my favorite song ever and I love Darius Rucker's country album as well. What a great list you have!