I FINALLY DID IT!
Note, not to my own hair, but I did this to my hair model Hannah's hair! I LOOOOOVE the way that it turned out!
I've been trying and trying and trying to master the sock bun. I actually saw something on Pinterest about the sock bun being created from a legitimate sock...well I'll just spoil that plot now, IT DOESN'T WORK. You need this:
We snagged our sock bun donut at a Sally Beauty Supply store for less than $4!
In order to do a sock bun, you:
1. Put your hair in a pony tail. Use a regular elastic to secure the pony on your head.
2. Pull the pony straight back (or up) depending on where you want your sock bun to be.
3. Take the donut and place it at the ends.
4. SLOWLY roll the ends INTO your pony, wrapping hair into the donut as you go down your hair.
5. There will be loose ends at the base, wrap those around the pony and mush them into the bun (such official terms...I know...)
6. Spray a little hair spray once you're in place and you'll have all the staying power you need!
1. HAVE SOMEONE ELSE DO THIS. Your arms get tired and it would be tough to have to do it on your own.
2. Your hair will work better when it's straight--i.e. I tried it on my curly haired friend Colleen too, and it was TOO voluminous once it was in the bun. We could definitely do it, but it was easier with straight hair.
I got tons of great response when I posted this photo on Instagram, so I'd love to hear everyone's experiences doing it! Could you do it alone? Any good tips?